A short story...
I was strolling in the gardens of an insane asylum when I met a young man who was reading a philosophy book.
His behavior and his evident good health made him stand out from other inmates.
I sat down beside him and asked:"What are you doing here?"
He looked at me surprised. But seeing that I was not one of the doctors, he replied:
"It's very simple. My father, a brilliant lawyer, wanted me to be like him. My Uncle, who owns a large emporium, hoped I would follow his example. My Mother wanted me to be the image of her beloved Father. My Sister always set her husband before me as an example of a successful man. My Brother tried to train me up to be an excellent athlete like himself.And the same thing happened at school, with the Piano Teacher and the English teacher- they were all convinced and determined that they were the best possible example to follow. None of them looked at me as one should look at a man, but as if they were looking in a mirror.
So I decided to enter the asylum. At least here I an be myself."
I was strolling in the gardens of an insane asylum when I met a young man who was reading a philosophy book.
His behavior and his evident good health made him stand out from other inmates.
I sat down beside him and asked:"What are you doing here?"
He looked at me surprised. But seeing that I was not one of the doctors, he replied:
"It's very simple. My father, a brilliant lawyer, wanted me to be like him. My Uncle, who owns a large emporium, hoped I would follow his example. My Mother wanted me to be the image of her beloved Father. My Sister always set her husband before me as an example of a successful man. My Brother tried to train me up to be an excellent athlete like himself.And the same thing happened at school, with the Piano Teacher and the English teacher- they were all convinced and determined that they were the best possible example to follow. None of them looked at me as one should look at a man, but as if they were looking in a mirror.
So I decided to enter the asylum. At least here I an be myself."