The Holy Grail 'neath ancient Roslin waits.
The blade and chalice guarding o'er Her gates.
Adorned in masters' loving art, She lies.
She rests at last beneath the starry skies.
A famous passage from Dan Brown's bestseller, The Da Vinci Code. I read the book and it was interesting. I was drawn to it from start to finish, in fact I was so drawn to it till I finish the book in 3 days. Much has been debated regarding the book and the author himself. From religion to plagiarism. But despite the criticism and accusation, it is quite frankly a very entertaining book. And since I have read the book, why not watch the movie which has recently opened this week.
I forgot to mentioned on my last entry that I went to watch The Da Vinci code with my friends that night at Cathay Cineplex. Like all book that's been adapted to movies, the show did left out some parts from the book. Particularly, the part where Leigh Teabing described the dagger that was in Peter's hand at the famous portrait, The Last Supper. Or towards the end where Langdon had a conversation with Sophie's grandmother.
Indeed this story has raised a few question of my own. Like the Holy Grail for example. Every Christian know that the Holy Grail was famous because it was the only cup that Jesus and his apostle drank from during the last supper. Lets sidetrack a bit for a while. In malay, jesus is referred to as Nabi Isa but I'm going to use the name jesus because of its familiarity with those that aren't malay.
So Leonardo Da Vinci's famous portrait, The Last Supper. It was approved by the vatican and correct me if I am wrong but it was painted at the walls of a particular church in Rome. I don't exactly know which church, I'm not a historian and history is not my area of expertise. Now, if anyone were to paint 'The Last Supper', one thing has to be clear. There must be only one cup. However, Da vinci's painting has 13 small wooden cups. Not 1 but 13. And strangely; Jesus most loved apostle Peter, is not seen leaning against him. In paintings, Peter is usually painted leaning towards Jesus. Maybe its because Peter is much loved by Jesus and in ancient times, well men usually kiss each other at their foreheads to show affection or probably respect. If we see a couple of men do that in public, our first assumption would be gay.
So anyway back to the book. The main storyline of the book is regarding the Holy Grail, that it is not a cup or chalice but in fact, a person. And that person turns out to be Mary Magdelene. Hence, the Holy Grail is actually the descendant of Jesus.
Of course the book sound so true as to create such a fuss when it was first published because it is closely tied with modern history. However, the main group in the book, The Priory Of Sion is actually fake. The Priory Of Sion is not a secret organisation whose members include Leonardo Da Vinci and Isaac Newton. It is just a fake organisation that was made by a French Professor, Pierre Plantard. Hence, if the Priory Of Sion is not true, then the contents of the book isn't true either.
But still, even after reading the book and watching the movie, it brings out a sense of curiousity. If I were to intepret it by my own beliefs and my own religion, then I will say that Jesus is just an ordinary man who is God's messenger. An extroadinary man, but a man nonetheless. Cause I just can't see or imagine a man attaining divinity. That would mean that all men can be equal as God and I don't believe in such. Anyways, I have so many opinions regarding this topic that if I were to write it, it will be too long. Besides, it is well past midnight.
Its time to turn in and wake up early for soccer tomorrow. Till then, Aur Revoire.
The blade and chalice guarding o'er Her gates.
Adorned in masters' loving art, She lies.
She rests at last beneath the starry skies.
A famous passage from Dan Brown's bestseller, The Da Vinci Code. I read the book and it was interesting. I was drawn to it from start to finish, in fact I was so drawn to it till I finish the book in 3 days. Much has been debated regarding the book and the author himself. From religion to plagiarism. But despite the criticism and accusation, it is quite frankly a very entertaining book. And since I have read the book, why not watch the movie which has recently opened this week.
I forgot to mentioned on my last entry that I went to watch The Da Vinci code with my friends that night at Cathay Cineplex. Like all book that's been adapted to movies, the show did left out some parts from the book. Particularly, the part where Leigh Teabing described the dagger that was in Peter's hand at the famous portrait, The Last Supper. Or towards the end where Langdon had a conversation with Sophie's grandmother.
Indeed this story has raised a few question of my own. Like the Holy Grail for example. Every Christian know that the Holy Grail was famous because it was the only cup that Jesus and his apostle drank from during the last supper. Lets sidetrack a bit for a while. In malay, jesus is referred to as Nabi Isa but I'm going to use the name jesus because of its familiarity with those that aren't malay.
So Leonardo Da Vinci's famous portrait, The Last Supper. It was approved by the vatican and correct me if I am wrong but it was painted at the walls of a particular church in Rome. I don't exactly know which church, I'm not a historian and history is not my area of expertise. Now, if anyone were to paint 'The Last Supper', one thing has to be clear. There must be only one cup. However, Da vinci's painting has 13 small wooden cups. Not 1 but 13. And strangely; Jesus most loved apostle Peter, is not seen leaning against him. In paintings, Peter is usually painted leaning towards Jesus. Maybe its because Peter is much loved by Jesus and in ancient times, well men usually kiss each other at their foreheads to show affection or probably respect. If we see a couple of men do that in public, our first assumption would be gay.
So anyway back to the book. The main storyline of the book is regarding the Holy Grail, that it is not a cup or chalice but in fact, a person. And that person turns out to be Mary Magdelene. Hence, the Holy Grail is actually the descendant of Jesus.
Of course the book sound so true as to create such a fuss when it was first published because it is closely tied with modern history. However, the main group in the book, The Priory Of Sion is actually fake. The Priory Of Sion is not a secret organisation whose members include Leonardo Da Vinci and Isaac Newton. It is just a fake organisation that was made by a French Professor, Pierre Plantard. Hence, if the Priory Of Sion is not true, then the contents of the book isn't true either.
But still, even after reading the book and watching the movie, it brings out a sense of curiousity. If I were to intepret it by my own beliefs and my own religion, then I will say that Jesus is just an ordinary man who is God's messenger. An extroadinary man, but a man nonetheless. Cause I just can't see or imagine a man attaining divinity. That would mean that all men can be equal as God and I don't believe in such. Anyways, I have so many opinions regarding this topic that if I were to write it, it will be too long. Besides, it is well past midnight.
Its time to turn in and wake up early for soccer tomorrow. Till then, Aur Revoire.