For thousands of years writers and philosophers have debated the nature of love. Many recognized that there are different kinds of love, but few accepted them all as legitimate. Instead, each writer argues that his own concept of love is the best. C.S. Lewis thought that true love must be unselfish and altruistic, as did sociologist Pitirim Sorokin. Stendhal, by contrast, took the view that love is passionate and ecstatic. Others think that "real" love must be wedded to the protestant ethic, forging a relationship that is mutually beneficial and productive. Definitions of love range from sexual lust to an excess of friendship.
The ancient Greeks and Romans were more tolerant. They had variety of words for different and to them equally valid types of love. But today the concept has rigidified most of us believe that there is only one true kind of love. We measure each relationship against this ideal in terms of degree to quantity. Does tom love me more than Tim does? Do you love me as much as I love you? Do I love you enough? Such comparisons also assume that love comes in fixed amounts the more I give to you the less I have for anyone else; if you don't give me everything you don't love me enough…
It makes a lot of sense. I guess many things make sense that aren't suppose to.
The ancient Greeks and Romans were more tolerant. They had variety of words for different and to them equally valid types of love. But today the concept has rigidified most of us believe that there is only one true kind of love. We measure each relationship against this ideal in terms of degree to quantity. Does tom love me more than Tim does? Do you love me as much as I love you? Do I love you enough? Such comparisons also assume that love comes in fixed amounts the more I give to you the less I have for anyone else; if you don't give me everything you don't love me enough…
It makes a lot of sense. I guess many things make sense that aren't suppose to.